Would You Write Python Articles or Screencasts for Money?

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Wed Apr 25 10:27:55 EDT 2007

Anton Vredegoor wrote:

>>> So in order to avoid a suspicion of a conflict of interest you want to
>>> turn the whole thing into private property of the PSF?
>>>
>>> That is  the most ridiculous suggestion I have ever
>> I kind of understand why they would want to do this. If you have
>> no limitations on who may vote, such a contest can easily turn
>> into a contest of who can mobilize the biggest clan of supporters.
>
> Sure, any democratic process can be derailed by a coordinated effort of
> people with a different mentality. To prevent such things by killing the
> democratic process oneself right at the beginning of a project is a
> peculiar way of avoiding this risk.

I'm sorry, but while the PSF is a democratically-run organization its
franchise doesn't extend beyond the membership.

You might as well suggest that America isn't being democratic because it
doesn't allow the French to vote for its president.

>> Now maybe there are better ways to avoid this kind of unwanted
>> effect but I wouldn't call Steve's suggestion ridiculous.
>
> It's about as ridiculous as proving that a stiff parrot is dead by
> grabbing it by the legs and repeatedly hitting it's head on the counter.

So you are now saying my behavior is completely appropriate?

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119
Skype: holdenweb     http://del.icio.us/steve.holden