newbie IronPython compiled scripts speed question

Ravi Teja webraviteja at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 22:28:44 EDT 2006

In most cases, carefully examine why you need native code at all. Since
a good number of performance sensitive CPython modules are in fact
written in C to begin with, the improvements may not always be
significant.

I don't know about your application but here are some general
observations. Beginers are often enamored with native code. This is
normal. Unless your application is explicitly low level, native code is
not worth bothering with.

> thanks, I'll check out psyco's documentation, since unfortunately the
> scripts will be run on a Windows box, and using a compiler other than
> VC++ is not an option...

1.) mingw works quite well for writing Python extensions.
2.) ctypes is a great way to incorporate native code. Create a dll in
whatever native language you please and call it from Python.
3.) Since you are on just MS Windows, you can use COM to wrap your
native code.