Talking to marketing people about Python

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon Sep 25 01:25:53 EDT 2006

Roy Smith wrote:
> I'm working on a product which for a long time has had a Perl binding for
> our remote access API.  A while ago, I wrote a Python binding on my own,
> chatted it up a bit internally, and recently had a (large) customer enquire
> about getting access to it.
>
> I asked for permission to distribute the Python binding, and after a few
> weeks of winding its way through the corporate bureaucracy I got an email
> from a product manager who wants to meet with me to "understand the market
> demand for Python API before we commercialize it".
>
> Can anybody suggest some good material I can give to him which will help
> explain what Python is and why it's a good thing, in a way that a
> marketing/product management person will understand?

No, but if you gave him a piece of paper with "please turn over" written
on both sides you could perhaps keep him otherwise occupied to the
company's benefit.

Seriously (and I suppose as a PSF director I should be serious from time
to time), you could point out that it will increase the availability of
your base product. Point out that there are Python APIs for many
services (Amazon S3, del.icio.us, digg to name just a few) and that
these bring the services within the scope of many more people.

Lastly, remind him that the customer is always right, and the large
customer usually even more right. You already have evidence of demand
from the customer base: aren't large customers a part of your market?
Show him the enquiry!

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119