Tabs are EVIL *and* STUPID, end of discussion. (Re: Tabs versus Spaces in Source Code)

Carl J. Van Arsdall cvanarsdall at mvista.com
Wed May 17 12:59:33 EDT 2006

Sybren Stuvel wrote:
> Andy Sy enlightened us with:
>
>> Like I said, you'll *NEVER* get that fancy shmancy 'semantic
>> indentation' idea to work properly in the most basic utilities which
>> have the 8-space tabs assumption hardcoded in them.
>>

> Fair enough. How much code is viewed with less and cat, and how much
> is viewed using smart viewers/editors? I think the majority is viewed
> using the latter.

Really though, he's got a good point.  I'm typically viewing code in
vi.  I don't know why so many people have so many issues with tabs, they
really aren't that difficult to work with and I think make life a little
easier when working on code with multiple people.  You can setup your
environment to make tabs look like you want your code to look, your team
members can do tabs their way, and in the end the indentation levels all
work out fine.

People want to fight tooth and nail over this debate.  But its really
not worth it.  Get an editor that doesn't completely suck and you won't
have problems.

.c

--

Carl J. Van Arsdall