Select hangs after some reads

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Fri Jun 9 03:25:13 EDT 2006

Donn Cave wrote:
> In article <mailman.6761.1149790756.27775.python-list at python.org>,
>  Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> wrote:
>

>>The PSH flag indicates that the data stream must be flushed right
>>through to the other end. This is essential for interactive protocols
>>such as FTP: without it the server has no way to know that the client
>>has sent a complete command, and vice versa.
>

> So you would expect to see this done explicitly in the source
> for an FTP client or server implementation -- something that
> sets this PSH flag or else the protocol won't work?  Or am
> I misunderstanding what you mean?
>
> I don't see that specific string anywhere in a the particular
> FTP implementation whose source happened to be handy, basically
> a Berkeley 4.4 variant as I think most are on UNIX.  Somewhere
> around here I have a pass-through FTP client/server application
> that adds GSSAPI-Kerberos5 authentication to the protocol traffic,
> and I don't remember needing to do any such thing there.
>
> I'd have to look harder at the details, but as I recall it,
> like any sane application the protocol is defined in terms of
> data, so you know if you have a complete command by looking at
> what you have.

Nope, I wouldn't look any harder. You and I both know you won't find
them. "The client" in this case was the client's transport layer, not
the client application - I should have said "sender", since I referred
to the system at the other end as the "receiver".

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119
Love me, love my blog  http://holdenweb.blogspot.com