Search within running python scripts

Simon Forman rogue_pedro at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 24 17:54:44 EDT 2006

gmax2006 wrote:
> Simon Forman wrote:
> > gmax2006 wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Is it possible that a python script finds out whether another instance
> > > of it is currently running or not?
> > >
> > > Thank you,
> > > Max
> >
> > Yes, there are several ways.  What OS are you using?
> >
> > ~Simon
>
> I have to use an os-independent approach.
>
> At this point I use a file as running-flag. It doesn't work so good.
> Because if the python application breaks or get terminated, it won't
> run again unless somebody deletes the flag file.
>
> Alan

Hmm,  I'm very far from being an expert on this, so hopefully someone
who knows better will reply.
You might have to check the OS your script is running on and do, say,
what faulkner proposed for linux (and Mac?), and something like
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/474070 for
windows.

HTH,
~Simon