Need a compelling argument to use Django instead of Rails

Jaroslaw Zabiello hipertracker at gmail.com
Wed Jul 26 14:00:36 EDT 2006

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 18:20:44 +0200, Bruno Desthuilliers wrote:

> May I suggest that you learn some Lisp dialect ?

Nope. I hate Lisp syntax.

>> Of course, I you like, you can freeze every object you want and nobody can
>> be able to open and change it. You can also trace all activity for changing
>> something to objects because Ruby has nice system hooks implemented.
>
> __getattribute__ / __setattr__ / __delattr__

This is not the same. Ruby can also lock access to attributes. Freezing is
different. It can freeze any object so you will not be able to add or
delete any method. Once freezed object cannot be unfrozen. So you can be
sure that nobody will change you classes if you do not like.

> And of course import hooks.

Python?? Where?

>> Ruby
>> has nice security system (private, protected, public scopes for methods and
>> attributes,
>
> This is not "security", this is data-hiding.

No. Data hiding are in Python. Ruby uses security similiar to Java. If the
class has method marked as private it cannot be used in children classes.

> And IIRC, Ruby's attributes are always private

Yes and no. Yes, because you cannot read them directly without accessors.
And no, because you can read them if you set proper accessor.

>> In past Python had Bastion module (http://www.python.org/doc/lib/module-Bastion.html)
>> but it was rejected and now Python has nothing.
>
> Seems like Zope is not doing so bad...

Zope is only a great application. Invision Power Board or ezPublish are
also great application, but it does not mean that PHP is great language. :)

Python has no security at all. I has only convention and mangling. Of
course somebode can say, it is enough, and maybe it is. But I think, that
this might be another reason why Java guys prefer Ruby to Python.

--
Jaroslaw Zabiello
http://blog.zabiello.com