What is a type error?

Chris Smith cdsmith at twu.net
Mon Jul 17 11:42:35 EDT 2006

Joachim Durchholz <jo at durchholz.org> wrote:
> I fail to see an example that would support such a claim.
>
> On the other hand, UPDATE can assign any value to any field of any
> record, so it's doing exactly what an assignment does. INSERT/DELETE can
> create resp. destroy records, which is what new and delete operators
> would do.
>
> I must really be missing the point.

I *think* I understand Marshall here.  When you are saying "assignment",
you mean assignment to values of attributes within tuples of the cell.
When Marshall is saying "assignment", he seems to mean assigning a
completely new *table* value to a relation; i.e., wiping out the entire
contents of the relation and replacing it with a whole new set of
tuples.  Your assignment is indeed less powerful than DML, whereas
Marshall's assignment is more powerful than DML.

--
Chris Smith - Lead Software Developer / Technical Trainer
MindIQ Corporation