New Python.org website ?

Roel Schroeven rschroev_nospam_ml at fastmail.fm
Wed Jan 18 18:57:54 EST 2006

Roel Schroeven schreef:
> JW schreef:
>> immediately
>> noticed something when visiting Joel using Firefox.  **Scrollbars**.  The
>> page wouldn't even fit on the screen!  I started to read it, but my face
>> went numb before I needed to use the scrollbar.
>
> [...]
>>
>> OK for blogging -- not so cool for a book cover.
>
> I guess you're right that scroll bars are to be avoided on the main page
> of a website, though I don't think it's such a big deal.

To correct myself: I don't think there bad at all, if only the main
information is visible at first sight without scrolling. Take for
example http://www.rubyonrails.org/. I like that design, with a few caveats:
- the 'What's in the package' should be somewhat higher, in a more
prominent place on the page.
- the style of the text should be somewhat more humble.

Other than that, I like it. There's a short summary of what Ruby on
Rails is, the What's in the package section gives a more complete but
still concise explanation. Than some references, followed by an overview
of where the framework fits in the technical picture. Especially that
last section is something I sorely miss on many project pages, while it
is very important: I need to know if it fits in my existing
infrastructure, or if it's feasible to make it fit. In fact I would like
to see this section in front of the references section, but I guess this
order is better for less technical people.

It's also very clear where to get the software, tutorials and other
docs, and where I can find mailing lists, IRC channels etc.

In short, more or less everything I need to know right there on the
front page (admittedly with a bit of scrolling, but to me that's
absolutely not a big deal, even though my laptop doesn't have a scroll
wheel) or clearly linked from there.

(I'm not saying that Python should copy this design, just trying the
explain what I like and don't like in website front pages)

Roel Schroeven