ls files --> list packer

Scott David Daniels scott.daniels at acm.org
Mon Feb 27 11:58:08 EST 2006

kpp9c wrote:
> Thank you... i was looking in the wrong place cause all i found was
> this relatively useless doc:
>     http://docs.python.org/lib/module-os.html
> which says almost nothing.

In one of its subsections, cleverly named "Files and Directories",
I see a nice description of listdir.

     http://docs.python.org/lib/os-file-dir.html

You also might want to read about os.walk in the same page.
In the os.path module you can see more path name manipulations.
If you intend to know a language, you should read its manuals
fast; what you want is a vague impression where information
lives and what information is there.  Maybe half a year later
do it again.  After that every couple of years often suffices.
At the very least, go through the full tutorial, read docs on
the "obvious" modules for everyone and for your particular
area of endeavor, and then on a snacking basis get yourself
through the rest unless you decide that you never want to deal
with, for example, unix-specific services or internet protocols.

Don't expect to acquire _any_ language with "just in time" (JIT)
techniques.  Perhaps JIT works for magic.  When you acquire a
language with JIT, you miss the subtleties of the language.
You will be doomed to writing the same kinds of programs in every
language you touch ("writing Fortran in Algol" is what we used to
call it).  I've worked on code that was Java-in-Python, and it was
frustratingly hard to understand.

--Scott David Daniels
scott.daniels at acm.org