Pure python implementation of string-like class

Akihiro KAYAMA kayama at st.rim.or.jp
Sat Feb 25 12:05:28 EST 2006

Hi Steve.

In article <dtprtf$5dr$1 at sea.gmane.org>,
Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> writes:

steve> Akihiro KAYAMA wrote:
steve> > Hi all.
steve> >
steve> > I would like to ask how I can implement string-like class using tuple
steve> > or list. Does anyone know about some example codes of pure python
steve> > implementation of string-like class?
steve> >
steve> > Because I am trying to use Python for a text processing which is
steve> > composed of a large character set. As the character set is wider than
steve> > UTF-16(U+10FFFF), I can't use Python's native unicode string class.
steve> >
steve> "Wider than UTF-16" doesn't make sense.

Sorry for my terrible English. I am living in Japan, and we have a
large number of characters called Kanji. UTF-16(U+0000...U+10FFFF) is
enough for practical use in this country also, but for academic
purpose, I need a large codespace over 20-bits. I wish I could use
unicode's private space (U+60000000...U+7FFFFFFF) in Python.

-- kayama