Why not just show the out-of-range index?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Dec 4 12:44:36 EST 2006

Russ schrieb:
> My suggestion that it would be much easier for the Python maintainers
> than for me to implement the requested feature is just basic common
> sense. I would have to spend many hours or days just to familiarize
> myself with the code, but they are obviously already very familiar with
> it.

That is all true. However, you seem to be implying that therefore, it
is the Python maintainers who ought to fix this. That implication is
faulty. Not everything that somebody could do better than you should
be done by that other person - some things you have to do yourself
if you want to see them done.

All Python contributors (including the maintainers) are volunteers,
none of us is paid. Volunteers tend to do what they have fun doing
or what scratches their own itches. This is just how free software
works.

> And they would probably have to spend nearly as much time checking
> my patch as they would writing it themselves anyway.

No: if you already have done the testing, and provided test cases
to test it, this is fairly easy to review.

Regards,
Martin