merits of Lisp vs Python

Mark Tarver dr.mtarver at ukonline.co.uk
Fri Dec 8 12:22:56 EST 2006

Bill Atkins wrote:
> "Mark Tarver" <dr.mtarver at ukonline.co.uk> writes:
>
> > How do you compare Python to Lisp?  What specific advantages do you
> > think that one has over the other?
> >
> > Note I'm not a Python person and I have no axes to grind here.  This is
> > just a question for my general education.
> >
> > Mark
>
> What was the reasoning behind cross-posting this to c.l.p and c.l.l?
> This type of question inevitably leads to controversy.

I don't mind controversy - as long as there is intelligent argument.
And since it involves Python and Lisp, well it should be posted to both
groups.   The Lispers will tend to say that Lisp is better for sure -
so it gives the Python people a chance to defend this creation.

I'm looking at Python and I see that the syntax would appeal to a
newbie.  Its clearer than ML which is a mess syntactically.  But I
don't see where the action is in Python.   Not yet anyway.  Lisp syntax
is easy to learn.  And giving up an order of magnitude is a high price
to pay for using it over Lisp.

Mark