2.5 excitement (was Re: Java Developer Exploring Python)

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Tue Apr 18 15:57:55 EDT 2006

In article <slrne4ad9c.tn1.jon+usenet at snowy.squish.net>,
Jon Ribbens  <jon+usenet at unequivocal.co.uk> wrote:
>In article <e238u8$4k0$1 at panix1.panix.com>, Aahz wrote:
>>
>> On that front, I think that pysqlite is much more important because
>> it finally gets rid of the excuse for using Berkeley for simple
>> database purposes.
>
>Apologies if I'm being obtuse, but how does including the pysqlite
>wrapper module change anything? You still need to download and install
>SQLite, so what's the point of including a wrapper for something you
>may or may not have? Why is pysqlite included, for example, and not
>MySQL-Python or postgresql or whatever?

SQLite will be included with the Windows distribution.  Not sure about
Macs; as Fredrik pointed out, most Linux/BSD distros should make that
simple.

As for why SQLite, there seems to be a consensus that it's the only
truly zero-admin SQL solution that provides decent SQL compatibility and
performance.  For more about the decision, I suggest you read the
python-dev archives.

"LL YR VWL R BLNG T S"