mini component distribution question

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Wed Apr 19 21:14:53 EDT 2006

"Eric S. Johansson" <esj at harvee.org> writes:

> Ben Finney wrote:
> > The developing wisdom is to:
> >
> >   - bundle up reusable discrete functional components as Python eggs
>
> okay.  Sounds like it's worth the effort of learning.
>
> >   - publish them on the Cheeseshop
> >
> >     <URL:http://cheeseshop.python.org/>
>
> unless I'm missing something, cheese shop seems to be cursed by flat
> namespace.

Yes.

> also, can one run one's own cheese shop and will the
> gather/installer tool work with multiple cheese shops?

setuptools allows downloads and/or installs from any specified
location. The Cheeseshop is just a convenient default location.

> >   - use easy_install to automatically download and install them when
> >     the main package is installed
>
> This implies the need for two different methods of program propagation.
>   First from the cheese shop, second from your source code sandbox as
> you are debugging etc.

No. setuptools only attempts to download a package if it's not already
installed. You merely need to ensure that your own development build
process installs the packages you want to be tested.

> I really need to find a decent way of placing individual components
> under source code control.  I can barely cope with 3 darcs or cvs
> repositories gathered into one application, I'm not looking forward
> to more. :-)

Develop and test them separately. Each modular component should have
its own test suite, to be run when than component is built; but should
be treated as a black box by anything else which uses it.

--
 \         "Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."  -- |
  `\                                                     Aldous Huxley |