Ironpython book?

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Tue Apr 18 11:53:04 EDT 2006

> ...which is hardly "more proprietary than MS", anyway, since OpenStep
> does live, btw;-).

But certainly not PyObjc bindings for that :)

> For me, just like for most people I've discussed it with, the reasoning
> is similar.  For example, Chip Turner (once of RedHat, and a major
> contributor to RPM tools, now a colleague at Google) blogs at
> <http://other-eighty.blogspot.com/> and has a few notes on the matter
> (e.g. "there's nothing like sitting in the middle of a meeting and
> having the ONLY WORKING LAPTOP in the room. Wireless AND suspend, both
> working..." -- that's about his Powerbook;-). I'd say Chip mostly
> switched from Linux to Mac for the same reason he mostly switched from
> Perl to Python though he was a CPAN contributor too. Others feel even
> more strongly: e.g., Rob Pike, another colleague, apparently just
> dislikes Linux technically (mostly, I think, X11, but not just that) and
> that's why he uses Macs (Windows isn't even in the picture, of course).

I'm pretty satisfied with linux sitting on my desktop. But I totally agree
with you and whomever else that it certainly is a major PITA when it comes
to the niceties of mobile computing, including power-save-modes and WLAN.

No, I _don't_ want to trick some M$-WLAN-Drivers into running under Linux.
And spend 2 1/2 Weeks exploring unknown depths of my ACPI-Bios-support.

>> So - it seems that quality is important, and of course any decent Hacker
>> will run a *nixish OS.
>
> Not necessarily: Tim Peters, among my top choices for "top Hacker in the
> PSF" Lifetime Award, prefers Windows.  So, s/any/most/...!-)

Ok. I'll take that back then.

Diez