dual processor

Steve Jorgensen nospam at nospam.nospam
Tue Sep 6 02:57:39 EDT 2005

On 05 Sep 2005 23:31:13 -0700, Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid>
wrote:

>Steve Jorgensen <nospam at nospam.nospam> writes:
>> In this case, it woiuld just be keeping a list of dirty hash tables, and
>> having a process that pulls the next one from the queue, and cleans it.
>
>If typical Python programs spend so enough time updating hash tables
>for a hack like this to be of any benefit, Python itself is seriously
>mis-designed and needs to be fixed.

I dunno - you might be right, and you might be wrong.  I was just pointing out
that there may be standard operations that can be made lazy and benefit from
background tasks to complete before they are needed for use by the Python
code.

Given that Python is highly dependent upon dictionaries, I would think a lot
of the processor time used by a Python app is spent in updating hash tables.
That guess could be right or wrong, bus assuming it's right, is that a design
flaw?  That's just a language spending most of its time handling the
constructs it is based on.  What else would it do?