py2exe 0.6.1 released

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Tue Sep 6 07:30:30 EDT 2005

svbrk at start.no writes:

> First: Thank you Thomas for the good work with py2exe. The single-file
> option is something I have been waiting for :-)
> Will it also be possible to build independent files (such as
> my_app_data.zip) into the executable?

Depends on how you want to access them at runtime.

What you can do is to include them as win32 resources, see the advanced
example - it puts the winXP manifest file as resource into the exe.

test_wx = Target(
   other_resources = [(resource_type, resource_id, resource_data)],
   )

resource_type and resource_id must be integers, resource_data
must be the data itself as a string.

At runtime you can access them with a win32api.LoadResource() call.

>> > I tried it using the wx singlefile example, but unfortunately the
>> > resulting executable segfaults at startup (using Python 2.3.3 on
>> > Windows 2000, with latest wxWindows).
>>
>> Yes, I can reproduce that.  I'm still using wxPython 2.4.2.4 for Python
>> 2.3.5, and that combo works.  I have done a few tests, and wxPython
>> 2.5.1.5 also works, while 2.5.5.1 crashes.
>>

> I have tried two more combinations for this example
> (samples/singlefile/gui/test_wx.py), both giving segfault on WindowsXP
> / SP2:
> 1. Python 2.3.3 with wxPython 2.6.1.0 unicode
> 2. Python 2.4.1 with wxPython 2.6.1.0 unicode
>
> However, the combinations
>   Python 2.4.1 with wxPython 2.4.5.1 ansi

You probably mean 2.5.5.1 ?

>   Python 2.4.1 with wxPython 2.6.1.0 ansi
> do not cause segfault, but shows a dialog box pointing to a log file,
> the contents of which is:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "test_wx.py", line 1, in ?
>   File "zipextimporter.pyo", line 78, in load_module
>   File "wxPython\__init__.pyo", line 10, in ?
>   File "zipextimporter.pyo", line 78, in load_module
>   File "wxPython\_wx.pyo", line 3, in ?
>   File "zipextimporter.pyo", line 78, in load_module
>   File "wxPython\_core.pyo", line 15, in ?
>   File "zipextimporter.pyo", line 78, in load_module
>   File "wx\__init__.pyo", line 42, in ?
>   File "zipextimporter.pyo", line 78, in load_module
>   File "wx\_core.pyo", line 4, in ?
>   File "zipextimporter.pyo", line 89, in load_module
> ImportError: MemoryLoadLibrary failed loading _core_.pyd
>
> Maybe this could help localizing the problem?

I hope.  Thanks for these,

Thomas