Problem subclassing (Newbie)

Shahla Almasri sa at almasris.com
Sat Sep 24 00:55:34 EDT 2005

Hi,

I'm new to Python, so forgive me if I'm missing something obvious
here. All what I am trying to do is create a hirarachy of objects
(i.e. one that inherits from another). But for somereason my
subclasses are not recognizing their superclass! I have the following:

class Widget(object):
  def __init__(self, app, name, loc, width=30, height=50):
    #some initialization

class Button(Widget):
  def __init__(self, app, label, loc, callback, width=30, height=50):
    Widget.__init__(self, app, label, loc, width, height)
    #some initialozation

Then I have an instance of class Button called obj. My probelm is that
the test isinstance(obj, Widget) resturns False! What is really
strange is that even the test issubclass(Button, Widget) returns
False!! Obviously I did not achieve the hirarchy I wanted.

Any ideas what I could be missing?

Thanks a lot!

-Shahla