Crypto.Cipher.ARC4, bust or me doing something wrong?

Paul Rubin http
Wed Sep 21 05:14:31 EDT 2005

Michael Sparks <michaels at rd.bbc.co.uk> writes:
> I'm looking at using this library and to familiarise myself writing
> small tests with each of the ciphers. When I hit Crypto.Cipher.ARC4 I've
> found that I can't get it to decode what it encodes. This might be a
> case of PEBKAC, but I'm trying the following:

You have to reinitialize the cipher state for decryption, as someone
else explained.  You also have to make sure that keys are unique and
independent for separate messages.  For most applications you probably
want to think about adding authentication.  In general you shouldn't
use arc4 unless you know what you're doing.  What's the application?