Google Not Universal Panacea [was: Re: Where to find python c-sources]

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Fri Sep 30 16:53:19 EDT 2005

Steve Holden wrote:

> While a snappish "go and look it up on Google" might suffice for a
> mouthy apprentice who's just asked their thirteenth question in the last
> half hour, it's (shall we say) a little on the brusque side for someone
> who only appears on the group last February, and has a history of asking
> reasonably pertinent though sometimes beginner-level questions.

I told him exactly where it was.  I just also pointed out that he could
have trivially found out the answer on his own by using Google for
fifteen seconds.  It would be one thing if I (and nobody else) answered
his question and just rudely pointed him to Google.  But since I
actually answered his question, looks to me like someone just wanted to
stand on his soapbox today.

   Let he who does not know what war is go to war.
   -- (a Spanish proverb)