more than 100 capturing groups in a regex

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Mon Oct 24 11:20:48 EDT 2005

    Joerg> Or is there a way to circumvent [capturing groups limitation]?

Sure, submit a patch to SourceForge that removes the restriction.

I've never come anywhere close to creating regular expressions that need to
capture 100 groups even though I generate regular expressions from a
higher-level representation.  I suspect few will have hit that limit.
Perhaps explain what motivates you to want to capture that many groups.
Other people may be able to suggest alternatives.  And remember:

    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use
    regular expressions." Now they have two problems. --Jamie Zawinski

Skip