Reply-To header

Roel Schroeven rschroev_nospam_ml at fastmail.fm
Mon Oct 3 17:36:19 EDT 2005

Mike Meyer wrote:
> Peter Decker <pydecker at gmail.com> writes:
>
>>Setting the default Reply-To: to the list means that 'Reply' sends
>>just to the list (the desired behavior most of the time), and 'Reply
>>to all' sends 2 copies.
>

> No, it sends one copy to the list, and one copy to the original
> author. This is the behavior you want. The author may not be
> subscribed to the list. Such people are most in need of help, and you
> want the default to be that they get help.

Is that really the desired behaviour? IMO the least you can do if you're
searching for help is subscribing to the mailing list on which you're
looking for help. Me and many others don't like to receive replies
directly instead of via the mailing list; it's of no use, since we're
subscribed to the mailing list anyway.

Just reply to the mailing list, and subscribe to it if you want to
receive replies. Avoids duplicates without all kinds mail filters. Only
disadvantage is that by subscribing to the mailing list, you receive all
posts to the list, not just the replies to your own post. But that's not
a big disadvantage. On the contrary; one can easily learn something from
them.

Roel Schroeven