"no variable or argument declarations are necessary."

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Tue Oct 4 08:09:55 EDT 2005

Paul Rubin wrote:
> Antoon Pardon <apardon at forel.vub.ac.be> writes:
>
>>>Or you just code without declaring, intending to go
>>>back and do it later, and invariably forget.
>>
>>What's the problem, the compilor will allert you
>>to your forgetfullness and you can then correct
>>them all at once.
>

> Thiat in fact happens to me all the time and is an annoying aspect of
> Python.  If I forget to declare several variables in C, the compiler
> gives me several warning messages and I fix them in one edit.  If I
> forget to initialize several variables in Python, I need a separate
> test-edit cycle to hit the runtime error for each one.

Well I hope you aren't suggesting that declaring variables makes it
impossible to forget to initalise them. So I don;t really see the
relevance of this remark, since you simply add an extra run to fix up
the "forgot to declare" problem. After that you get precisely one
runtime error per "forgot to initialize".

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119