Grouping code by indentation - feature or ******?

Antoon Pardon apardon at forel.vub.ac.be
Fri Mar 25 10:16:32 EST 2005

Op 2005-03-25, Diez B. Roggisch schreef <deetsNOSPAM at web.de>:
>> Structure/Disciplined programming is a burden in general. I have
>> never found putting braces or what ever delimiter such a problem.
>> I don't see people argueing that putting the right number of parenthesis
>> and or brackets is an extra burden.
>
> Oh, not the right number. But I have seen wars waging over the correct
> indention style to use. Braces behind flow control statements, or beneath,
> and if the latter, indented halfways or not?
>
>> Use a tool for that. If people want something in python that python
>> doesn't has, those people are refered to tools that provide it.
>> It it works in that direction, it should also work in the other
>> direction and people that would like some feature of python in
>> an other language should use a tool for that. You wnat consistent
>> style? Use a tool to put all your source in a consistent style.
>
> And what to do if two (or more) people can't decide on what convention to
> use?

Normally one is the project leader. He decides.

> And just in case you never worked with CVS: Having mutually commits of
> sourcecode that has been subject to code formatting tools often creates a
> hellhole of conflicts - which is a major PITA.
>
>> Well to each his own.
>
> Amen. Why don't you use ruby? It has braces. And code blocks. And its more
> liberal towards overriding builtins, which might appeal to you.

I have other problems with it. I have problems with all languages
currently available, so I use those which rub me wrong the least.
I think the indentation syntax of python was a mistake, but for
the most part it is a minor issue and it doesn't weight heavy enough
to go and use an other language, although I keeping looking at
the other languages.

--
Antoon Pardon