Saving/retrieving user preferences

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu Jun 9 07:55:59 EDT 2005

Brian Wallis wrote:
> This may be a FAQ,but I cannot find it.
>
> I want to save user preferences, window sizes, recently opened file names,
> etc for a python application and I am looking for a package that does this
> in a way that is portable across unix/linux and windows (and mac would be
> nice as well).
>
> Is there a 'standard' package for doing this in python?

As you can see from the replies so far, there is no 'standard', if by
that you mean "one single widely used solution".  There are a dozen ways
to do it, with (as far as I can tell) no one standing out in popularity.

That said, I believe the ConfigParser approach is probably one of the
best combinations of simplicity and cleanliness.

-Peter