Modules for inclusion in standard library?

Noah noah at noah.org
Wed Jun 29 15:08:24 EDT 2005

unzip() -- Not really a module, but a standard library function.
Why isn't it in the standard library?
It seems like I'm always adding it to my code.
I think I once heard an argument against it, but I forget what it was.
And yet I still find myself wanting unzip.

def unzip(list):
    if len(list) == 0: return ()
    l = []
    for t in range(len(list[0])):
        l.append(map( lambda x,t=t: x[t], list ))
    return tuple(l)

Yours,
Noah