[path-PEP] Path inherits from basestring again

Tony Meyer t-meyer at ihug.co.nz
Fri Jul 29 22:52:35 EDT 2005

>> (Those who are offended by sweeping generalisations should
>> ignore this next bit)
[...generalisation bit snipped...]
> This is not only bullshit, it's elitist bullshit.  "Windows users are
> more clueless than users of posix systems."  Pfui.  Prove it
> or withdraw it.

Sigh.  I guess you didn't read or understand the first sentence?

>> This (readability without knowing the language/standard
>> libraries) is a huge benefit of using Python.
>
> It's overrated.  It must be macho to say "I learned Python without
> reading books."

No it is not.  Have you used Python as pseudocode when teaching people how
to program?  Many people have.  That's just one example.

> Then that's your right, but don't try to take / away from
> people who use it and like it.

People can subclass Path and add it if they really want it.  They can use
Jason's original module.  My position is that the PEP without this use of
__div__ is (a) better as a standard module, and (b) improves the chance of
the PEP being accepted.

=Tony.Meyer