Inheritance/Late Private Binding

Jeremy Moles jeremy at emperorlinux.com
Wed Jul 6 20:23:55 EDT 2005

class BaseClass:
        def __init__(self):
                self.__data = None

        def getMember(self):
                return self.__data

class GoodSubClass(BaseClass):
        def __init__(self):
                BaseClass.__init__(self)

class BadSubClass(BaseClass):
        def __init__(self):
                self.__x = None

gsc = GoodSubClass()
print dir(gsc)
gsc.getMember()

bsc = BadSubClass()
print dir(bsc)
bsc.getMember()

Forgive me if this topic has been brought up before, but I was curious
as to why I was getting this behavior and was hoping someone
knowledgeable could explain. :)

I "feel" like even without the explicit call to a simple base ctor(),
mangling should still happen correctly. This doesnt, however, seem to be
the case...

Of note: simply doing a 'pass' in BadSubClass seems to be sufficient as
well; so, it has something to do with defining a ctor() in the child and
not explicitly invoking the parent's ctor.