Obj.'s writing self-regeneration script ?

Bas Michielsen michielsen at onecert.fr
Fri Jul 8 09:16:21 EDT 2005

Hello,

Is there a good/standard way of having (composite)
objects write a Python script which will regenerate
the very same object ?

This problem arises when I construct, for example,
a "ComputationalProblem" object, possibly through
an object editor GUI, importing data structures
from external geometric and material modelers etc.
Once the object has been constructed, one wants to
write it to a file on disk, for example to do the
computations later on.

In order to help users, familiar with the
(in)famous "input-file monolithic-code output-file"
sequence I would like to have this diskfile take
the form of recognisable and editable Python code
(instead of a "dump" solution with Pickle for
example).

I think there are problems with uniqueness and
ordering of the component instantiations.
I was thinking of something like a depth-first
recursive write-script() on the object's
attributes using the __class__ 's to construct
generic names for the instantiations.

Has anyone given this a thought already ?

Thank you in advance for any remarks,

--
Bas Michielsen
ONERA, Electromagnetics and Radar Department