map/filter/reduce/lambda opinions and background unscientificmini-survey

Ivan Van Laningham ivanlan at pauahtun.org
Tue Jul 5 17:25:02 EDT 2005

Hi All--

Tom Anderson wrote:

> I understand that the backslash is popular in some ivory-tower functional
> languages. Currently, a backslash can be used for explicit line joining,
> and is illegal elsewhere on a line outside a string literal, so i think
> it's available for this. It would be utterly unpythonic to use puntuation
> instead of a keyword, and it would make no sense to novices, but it would
> scare the crap out of C programmers, which has to be worth something.

Oh, I don't think so.  Don't forget that Perl was written by impatient C
programmers.  I think scaring C programmers, like giving engineers too
much information, is really hard to do.  Live by the sword, die by the
sword.

Metta,
<int *(*(*foo)())()>-ly y'rs,
Ivan
Ivan Van Laningham
God N Locomotive Works
http://www.andi-holmes.com/
Army Signal Corps:  Cu Chi, Class of '70
Author:  Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours