Python's ontology and governance (was: Guido at Google)

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.us
Thu Dec 22 15:08:11 EST 2005

In article <1135257525.036996.116130 at z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
 <bonono at gmail.com> wrote:
 			.
>The question is, can anyone just fork a new one using the python name,
>as part of the project, without the permission from the foundation ?
>Say for example, anyone want to implement java needs permission from
>Sun(or is it javasoft), if I rememeber correctly. Therefore, the only
>way to make change to java the language is to convince Sun, very
>similar to the model of Python. But many open source project is not
>using this model.

While I *think* there are several factual errors in this paragraph,
it seems even more probable to me that our different verbal styles
have led to multiple misunderstandings between the two of us.  Yes,
Python is like other projects in some ways, and different in others.
Apparently you think there are severe legal restrictions on the free-
dom each of us has to base derivative works on the Python source.
I'll summarize:  there aren't.  Apart from a few very mild
constraints that prohibit you from little more than saying that
you're Guido and you invented Python, you have remarkable liberty
to adapt Python to your own needs.  Moreover, this freedom is not
merely a theoretical principle; *numerous* working engineers have
changed Python to meet their own requirements, and quite a few of
these "modified Pythons" are in production around the world.  I've
heard Guido speak words of encouragement to others to do the same.

While I'm only a member of the PSF, and do not speak on its behalf,
it had never occurred to me to equate the management of Java by Sun
with that of Python by the PSF.