Bitching about the documentation...

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Mon Dec 5 22:36:47 EST 2005

François Pinard <pinard at iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> More than LaTeX, the main frozener is when people in charge tell you
> to use bug trackers to speak to them.
>
> This is like standing up with someone, having a conversation,

... in which you informally ask them to do something...

> and your
> partner suddenly tells you: "If you want to speak to me,

... "to give specific suggestions for improvement"...

> please study this form, carefully read the small print, fill it
> properly and send the yellow copy at this address."

... "so that it can go with all the other requests I get at various
times from various people".

> Surprised, you ask: "Why should I do that?", and he replies: "I
> might forget our conversation if you don't fill a form for me."
> Even more suprіsed, you say:  "Gosh, can't you manage your own notes
> yourself, as you see them fit?  Most grown up people are able to
> take care of themselves, you know."  "I just do not like filling
> these forms!  Besides, _my_ time is quite precious."
>
> Astonished, you just cannot believe what you hear.  Life is so
> short, you think, why one would ought to stand with such guys?

Perhaps because you have asked them to do something that benefits you,
and they receive multiple requests of that type from many different
people?

> As the room is full of other interesting people, you happily move on
> towards them.

If you just want to have conversations, talk to whomever you like.

If you want someone specific to voluntarily do something, yes, you'll
have to meet them halfway by helping them help you.

--
 \      "I put instant coffee in a microwave oven and almost went back |
  `\                                       in time."  -- Steven Wright |