Which Python web framework is most like Ruby on Rails?

Paul Rubin http
Mon Dec 19 20:02:13 EST 2005

Mike Meyer <mwm at mired.org> writes:
> What makes me think "I need a database" is a requirement that says
> "multiple simultaneous writers".

I'd go a little further and say "multiple simultaneous writers doing
multi-step transactions with steps that can have high latency",
e.g. transactions that have to wait for user input while the
transaction is in progress.

> Yes, it's possible to deal with the data locking and the like on
> your own - but this tends to be system-dependent, and hard to get
> right except in the simple cases.

If the transactions are simple and low-latency, then it can be enough
to have a single process own the whole database, and have every client
send all its requests to the db process.

> If your web clients can write data, then you've got multiple
> simultaneous writers - which means you probably want a database. Of
> course, people like to build web apps that don't write data on top of
> relational databases, which I think are well deserving of your rant.

It's been a long-time source of puzzlement to me why so many web sites
are so slow, and RDBMS overhead is an obvious candidate.  So the rant
seems appropriate even in the case of web apps where clients can cause
db updates.