ANN: Dao Language v.0.9.6-beta is release!

D H x at y.z
Sat Dec 3 16:54:23 EST 2005

Scott David Daniels wrote:
> Tom Anderson wrote:
>> So, could someone explain what's so evil about tabs?
>

> They appear in different positions on different terminals (older hard-
> copy), do different things on different OS's, and in general do not
> behave nicely.  On many (but not all) systems, they advance to the next
> column that is a multiple of 8, but not all, and people (and editors)
> use them freely to get to those positions, not understanding that they
> are not necessarily going to the same position.  The fact that they
> provide an ambiguous display is enough to make them evil.

How is that a problem that some editors use 8 columns for tabs and
others use less?  So what?
A bigger problem I see is people using only 2 or 3 spaces for indenting.
  That makes large amounts of code much less readable.  And of course it
is a problem if you mix tabs and spaces at the beginning of the same line.
Tabs are easier to type (one keystroke each) and lead to visually better
results (greater indentation unless you like hitting 8 spaces for each
indent level).