Indentation/whitespace

Gary Herron gherron at islandtraining.com
Fri Dec 23 18:37:49 EST 2005

Joe wrote:

>Is Python going to support s syntax the does not use it's infamous
>whitespace rules? I recall reading that Python might include such a
>feature. Or, maybe just a brace-to-indentation preprocessor would be
>sufficient.

Only over our dead bodies! ("our" = the large and
always growing Python
community.)

>Many people think Python's syntax makes sense. There are strong
>feelings both ways. It must depend on a person's way of thinking,
>because I find it very confusing, even after using with Python for some
>time, and trying to believe the advice that I would learn to like it.
>The most annoying thing is that multiple dedents are very unreadable. I
>still don't understand how anybody can think significant-but-invisible
>dedentation is a good thing.

You've got the visible/invisible aspect of things
*exactly* backwards.
The point on a line of text where things change
from white space to
non-white space is *highly* visible. The several
pixels that represent a
{ or } are nearly invisible within a line of text.
(So one usually
compensates by putting them alone on a line,
making them somewhat more
visible.)

Try this experiment: Print out a page of C++ code,
tape it to the wall,
and start walking backwards. You will still be
able to discern the
structure of the code *long* after you can no
longer identify the
curly-braces. (Provided you properly indented you
C++ code -- you *do*
indent you C++ code don't you?)

Gary Herron