Art of Unit Testing

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Wed Aug 3 14:43:15 EDT 2005

Christoph Zwerschke wrote:
>>> - unittest is for *unit* testing (only) ;-)
>>
>> Why would you say that?  We've used it extensively for a wide ranging...
>
> That was actually only a quote from this thread that summarizes some of
> the answers I got: unittest has no support for "global" fixtures,
> because it is intended for unit testing, not for global tests.

Fair enough, as a quote, but it's still an inaccurate statement as I
hoped I've made clear in the last several posts.  The need to do
"global" fixtures is most definitely not inherent in acceptance-type
testing, so it's incorrect to say "unittest" is limited to unit testing.

>> What, and break all the code that currently does "import unittest"?
>
> Just insert the two words "punit as" between "import" and "unittest",
> and the code will run as before...

No thanks.  I have hundreds upon hundreds of test files and no desire to
change them.  Luckily there's roughly a zero chance of this actually
happening, so no problem. :-)

-Peter