Doubt C and Python

Jeff Schwab jeffrey.schwab at rcn.com
Tue Aug 23 08:34:00 EDT 2005

praba kar wrote:
> Dear All,
>    I want to know the link between c and python.
>    Some people with C background use Python instead
> of  programming in C.why?

For me, the choice is typically among C++, Perl, Python, and Java.  The
arguments for Python relative to these languages are:

	1. Python's standard library includes a lot of functionality not in the
C++ standard library.

	2. Python's syntax is the cleanest of these languages.

	3. I don't have to compile Python, so I can test changes much more
quickly that with C++ or Java.

	4. System calls made from Python are more likely to be portable among
the platforms I use most (WindowsXP, AIX, Linux, and MacOSX) than system
calls from C++.

	5. Scripting is easier in Python than in Java, particularly with regard
to environment variables and process control.

Of course, these are only my opinions.  I am particularly not an expert
on Python or Java.