Wheel-reinvention with Python

Dan Sommers me at privacy.net
Sat Aug 6 21:38:51 EDT 2005

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 21:59:28 -0400,
Mike Meyer <mwm at mired.org> wrote:

> Is there a free language you consider successful? I can't think of any
> that are a lot more (i.e. - an order of magnitude) successful than
> Python that aren't derived from C.

How about Postscript?  (I believe that Postscript was developed as a
proprietary language, but it has since become sufficiently Free that
there is a Free interpreter that renders Postscript code, and a lot of
Free programs generate Postscript code as output.)

Stretching (but not too far) "language," how about HTML?  Except for
toasters, almost every computing device sold these days contains an HTML
interpreter, and a great deal of embedded systems create HTML and use
HTTP as an administrative interface.

Regards,
Dan

--