Making a timebomb

Cantankerous Old Git CantankerousOldGit at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 15:54:46 EDT 2005

Peter Hansen wrote:
> Cantankerous Old Git wrote:
>
>> Peter Hansen wrote:

>>> sys.exit() won't help you if your server is running in the main
>>> thread, nor if your server thread is not marked as a daemon, but that
>>> does raise another possibility.
>>

>> I assume you know that I actually meant System.exit(). Why do you
>> think that won't help?
>

> No, I didn't know that, but if you were confused the first time, I think
>  you're getting even more confused now.  What is System.exit()?  I don't
> have one, and have never seen it mentioned.  Perhaps you meant
> SystemExit, the exception that's raised when you call sys.exit()?  If
> so, I still don't see your point, because there's no difference between
> the two in this context.
>
> Maybe you meant os._exit()?  Now *that* one is messy, and will work as
> you described.
>
> -Peter

<TILT><RESET>

Yup - I guess you're not interested in java.lang.System.exit() at
all, are you. You're right about me getting confused!

Perhaps I should take a break between reading the two newsgroups.
Doh!

sys.exit() docs (for Python) say it raises a SystemExit
exception. A quick test shows that:
* You can catch this to prevent being killed
* It only gets raised on the calling thread - not the others

So you're right - sys.exit is not very helpful in this case.

os._exit is the one I was thinking of - equivalent to java's
System.exit().

And to the OP, Bill - sorry for messing you around. As you see -
I got confused.