Replacement for keyword 'global' good idea? (e.g. 'modulescope'or'module' better?)

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Aug 17 05:10:18 EDT 2005

"Bengt Richter" <bokr at oz.net> wrote in message
news:43028fd5.1649111246 at news.oz.net...
> Yes, the roster model works for me too, but I'm not sure I understand
> your
> concept of "container/room" ;-)

I only meant that if collective objects were containers of objects like
rooms are containers of people, then an object could be in only 1
collective at a time.  But that is importantly not true.  Therefore
collectives are not containers.

I once mistakenly thought of mathematical sets as being like boxes.  Don't
know if someone else said so or if I just thought up that error on my own.
But then I realized that the box model leads to the the same counterfactual
conclusion.  Therefore 'box' is a bad metaphor.  Sets are rosters.  The
very term 'member of' is a clue that I missed for years ;-)  I hope to help
other avoid the same mistake.

The roster idea also explains how a set can be a 'member' of itself, and
how a list can include itself.  Weird, perhaps, but easily possible.

The underlying problem is that 'contains' has two meanings:  a room
contains people by actual presence and hence is a container.  A club roster
metaphorically contains people by name (reference) as members, but not
actually, and hence is not a container even though we may speak of it as
'containing'.

Terry J. Reedy