Python 2.4 killing commercial Windows Python development ?

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Tue Apr 12 05:22:21 EDT 2005

Michael Kearns wrote:
> I would guess from the responses so far that Python 2.4 just isn't used
> within commercially shipping products, or is quietly used by an product
> so as not to incur any legal wrath that might be found. Perhaps it isn't
> quite ready for what I want to achieve. I don't know.
>
> I just know that I am spending the rest of the day migrating back to 2.3
> where I will stay.
The switch to 2.4+msvc7.1 has been a success for MS as many developers now
require both 6 & 7 to provide full coverage. Of course this wasn't a pythonic
choice, but MS certainly encouraged the move by delivering free SDKs to key
people. It's not really MS's fault; they want to advance and get revenue like
everyone else; python has to follow or end up on a dying platform.

People have mentioned the older v6 build scripts/tools still work. Last time I
tried they seemed a bit out of date.

-wondering where my paper tape editor is-ly yrs-
Robin Becker