Thoughts on some stdlib modules

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Mon Apr 11 01:09:25 EDT 2005

Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> I'm not talking about things that absolutely have to be in the Python
> interpreter core; I'm talking about things that *could* be bundled
> with the standard distribution, *without* having to be relicensed,
> or be forever maintained by the CPython developers.
>
> (the Linux distributors know how to do this: look for good stuff that's
> either actively maintained or simple and solid enough to live for a while,
> make sure the licenses are good enough, bundle the latest and greatest
> version, ship tested versions at regular intervals, update when necessary,
> and pass bugs and patches upstream.  why not use the same approach
> for Python's standard distribution?)

The reason they don't is because making a distribution like this is a
royal pain in the ass. It makes no sense to make the Python standard
distribution like this. Only insane people do this. I'm one of them.

"Updating when necessary" is problematic and really requires proper
package management. Python is not an OS and cannot control all of the
little factors that make package management feasible for OS
distributions to do.

What's more, once you *do* have proper package management on the
platforms that you care about, it doesn't matter what is or isn't in the
standard distribution. Hopefully, one of the CPyAN dreams will actually
pan out.

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu