XML documentation stinks - help?

Brian Quinlan brian at sweetapp.com
Wed Sep 1 07:11:19 EDT 2004

Simon John wrote:
> No, that's the docs I'm talking about, it's awful IMO.

I don't disagree. However, the W3 defines a lot of vocabulary for
talking about XML and learning that is probably the first step in
learning XML in any language.

> So far I've found a little bit of info on the xml.parsers.expat module,
> and got the following working the way Perl does, but it seems to create
> blank elements due to whitespace!

What is a blank "element"? Do you mean a text node containing only
whitespace?

> And it seems the expat module has been deprecated in favour of SAX?

Expat provides a SAX stream. You said the equivalent of "BMWs are being
depreciated in favour of cars".

> # create parser
> prs = xml.parsers.expat.ParserCreate()
>
> # start handler
> prs.StartElementHandler = startHandler
>
> # end handler
> prs.EndElementHandler = endHandler
>
> # char handler
> prs.CharacterDataHandler = charHandler

Subclassing is probably a more logical way to do this.

Cheers,
Brian