Electronic voting feasibility

Istvan Albert ialbert at mailblocks.com
Fri Sep 10 11:55:14 EDT 2004

Peter Hansen wrote:

> By the way, so far I've been able to independently confirm
> a lot of what is said there, from news reports and other
> sites.  But perhaps it's just a conspiracy?

In certain seasons certain kinds of articles just taste better
and thus sell better, it is not a conspiracy per se, it just
wise business to write on some topics.

Looking at what they claim, that in 2003 they discovered a back door
affecting every evoting machine, a backdoor that requires
a 2 digit code to overwrite the votes stored in the system,
moreover even a year later every system has this same flaw...

I don't find this credible, not that I think that evoting is
particularly secure, but then the election last time around
was decided by hanging chads and an oddly printed voting sheet.
What kind of e-voting problem is be worse that that?

I can think of another 'hysteria' of a very similar flavor.
Anyone here remember the Y2K bug that was supposed to end
life as it is?

Istvan.