design question

Ajay abra9823 at mail.usyd.edu.au
Thu Sep 2 06:26:07 EDT 2004

hi!

I am trying to write an application, say myapp, which does some xml
processing and then interacts with another application, say app2.
App2 is in Python and i can't change it.

The problem is that both my app and app2 must work on a pocket pc. I could
write myapp in Python but the python WinCE release does not have the
pyexpat parser and i cant find any other fast xml processor for a PDA.
There is a python only processor but that is way too slow.
my options as i see it are:

1. write myapp in c, compile to a dll using embedded visual c++ and write a
python wrapper around it, which then interacts with app2. The problem here
is again the parser. i am not writing my own, i don't know if msxml can
work on a PDA. Has anyone been down this road before. if yes, i'd love to
hear how you went about it and any suggestions you may have.

2. compile expat for pda using evc. the trouble is i myapp will use DOM and
expat is event driven. i will need to write code to build the whole DOM
hierarchy.

3. try and port the PyXML package to the PDA along with expat. A daunting
task and not one that i think i can achieve.

4. use c#.net to write myapp, compile to dll and then call from python. i
am not sure if this will work. i could alternatively use python.net but i
am not sure if that will work on the PDA.

and that exhausts the list of options i have.
i would really very much appreciate it if you could reply with any
alternatives that i could pursue or how i can go about implementing one of
the options above.

thanks

cheers