[Python-mode] Recent python-mode updates

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Oct 21 17:52:22 EDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-21 at 17:36, Skip Montanaro wrote:
> For those who don't monitor python-mode checkins (does anyone? I doubt it),

You're probably right, since AFAICT, python-mode checkin messages don't
actually go anywhere.  Should I hook it up to syncmail and direct the
checkin messages to python-mode at python.org (I really don't want to
create Yet Another Mailing List for such expected low traffic).

> * TAB key cycling - When you type a newline or hit the TAB key the cursor
>   moves to the mode-specific idea of the correct tab stop.  Hit TAB again
>   and it will back out a stop.  You can keep hitting TAB until the cursor is
>   in column 1, at which point hitting TAB one more time will reindent to the
>   "correct" tab stop.

Neat.

> * Completion using Pymacs

Very cool.  I'm definitely going to have to play with Pymacs one of
these days.

> If you have any questions, please direct them to python-mode at python.org.  If
> you find bugs or have enhancements, please submit a ticket on the
> python-mode project at SourceForge.

We should plan on a few things with python-mode, related to the Python
2.4 release.  We need to merge a stable copy back into Python's Misc
directory.  Right now its got 4.41 while the current version in the
python-mode project is 4.63.  We should also let upstream providers (the
FSF and XEmacs folks) know when we've got a stable release for them to
sync to.  Any thoughts on that?

-Barry