Python + Java knowledge

Maurice LING mauriceling at acm.org
Thu Oct 21 20:43:52 EDT 2004

> Not that amazing, most imprerative programming languages(which is
> most programming languages!) are very similar. Once you know how
> to do variable declarations, IO, loops, branches and functions
> you can start writing code. After that the big lhurdle is
> learning the library and thats down to practice mainly.

As they say, learning to speak a new language isn't tough, but learning
the vocabulary takes a whole lifetime.

> Again not really. Most reasonable sized projects will use
> multiple languages. Certainly the minimum number of languages on
> a single project I've worked on was 5 (C, awk, c-shell, SQL, DOS)
> and I've been on several with over a dozen. The wackiest was  16
> languages - but that was frankly excessive and an indication of
> poorly coordinated design more than necessity.

I think I did read that Boeing 747 has programs written in like a few
hundred languages...

> Are you sure you don't know some SQL and DOS Batch language, or
> Unix shell dialects? And if you know Java and C then C++ is but a
> step away... Add those to your 5 and suddenly you know 9 and a
> dozen languages doesn't seem so far away does it? :-)

Come to think, that's a fair bit, I know SQL, DOS batch, Bash. My
earliest toy language is QBasic (and I'm impresed that Borders still has
a book on it.... QBasic by example). I can't say that I don't know C++
because I did a subject on OOP and it uses C++. I used 'cout' more than
printf. That's 10 already... wow.... Maybe we should start a poll....

maurice