Parallelization on muli-CPU hardware?

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 12 05:23:19 EDT 2004

Nicolas Lehuen <nicolas at lehuen.com> wrote:

> problem was the same ; people expected mod_python to run in a
> multi-process context, not a multi-threaded context (I guess this is
> due to a Linux-centered mindset, forgetting about BSD, MacosX or Win32
> OSes). When I asked questions and pointed problem, the answer was 'Duh
> - use Linux with the forking MPM, not Windows with the threading MPM'.

Sorry, I don't get your point.  Sure, Windows makes process creation
hideously expensive and has no forking.  But all kinds of BSD, including
MacOSX, are just great at forking.  Why is a preference for multiple
processes over threads "forgetting about BSD, MacOSX", or any other
flavour of Unix for that matter?

> Well, this is not going to take us anywhere, especially with all the
> multicore CPUs coming.

Again, I don't get it.  Why would multicore CPUs be any worse than
current multi-CPU machines at multiple processes, and forking?

Alex