GIF frame delay

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Tue Nov 23 19:04:34 EST 2004

On Thursday 18 November 2004 03:25 am, Stephen Emslie wrote:
> Does anyone know of any python imaging modules that can change the
> delay between frames of an animated GIF?

No. Python imaging libs are pretty biased against GIFs because
of the patent problems (mostly over now?).

I personally would recommend using system calls to control
*gifsicle*, which is the smartest free tool I know for dealing
with GIFs. It can do essentially anything the GIF format supports,
which is a lot more than you can do with PIL or ImageMagick or
other tools.

Anyway, this is what I use when it comes up.  There is still some
noise about the patent issue, and this is why Debian still calls
gifsicle "non-free", but the program itself is GPL free-licensed.
If you're going to use GIFs, this is as free as you can get.

Cheers,
Terry